Monday, January 10, 2011

Rough Patches...

Have our days of having an easy baby come to an end?  Or have we simply hit a rough patch?  On one hand Josiah has become increasingly social and blesses us immensely with his big, beautiful smiles and the adorable cooing noises that he makes when he wants to "converse" with us.  It's absolutely precious and melts my heart!  But on the other hand he has decided to begin fighting sleep.  Gone are the days of 6 and 7 hours of straight sleep.  He's been back at 3-4 hours at night for the past 3-4 weeks now.  I miss those extra hours!  Daytime sleep is much harder to come by and he wakes up every 20 minutes.  And feeding times have become extremely difficult since we introduced a bottle a few weeks ago.

We are encountering so many of the same issues that we faced with Priya - but on a smaller scale.  At least I think it's on a smaller scale...  Maybe we've just learned how to deal with colicky behavior better so that it doesn't go on for hours on end.  Either way, I keep telling myself that it's not as bad as it was before and that it soon will pass.  I'm trying not to get discouraged and am focusing as much as I can on the positive aspects of having a newborn.

Priya is definitely showing more signs of being affected by the newest addition to our family.  She still loves him but has said a few times that she wants to take him back to the hospital.  :(  She's been acting out more and has been "punishing" me for spending more time with Josiah than with her.  She has become extremely attached to Daddy (nothing wrong with being close to Daddy - I think that's great) but wants to be with him constantly rather than me.  I'm not taking it personally (it's not a competition by any means), but I know that it's a manifestation of how she is feeling inside and I wish I knew better how to help her through the transitions she is currently facing.  Any insights on how to help older siblings adjust to a new baby?

Now, in the spirit of keeping positive, here is a glimpse of some of the fun we've been having the past couple of days...

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there friend. I bet Priya will really enjoy having her "own" school to go to, something she doesn't have to share with baby brother. Once he can play more with her, that helps too. I bet once he's 6 months, she'll think he's the best. Seems like a long time from now, but it will be here before you know it. I've gotta figure out a way to come and see you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Justus was born, I went to Walmart and got one of those workbooks that go over shapes and colors. I made a point a couple of times a week when Justus was down for his nap to sit down and do several pages with Ethan. It made him feel big because he was up and brother was sleeping and it got us some one on one time that he needed.

    ReplyDelete