Thursday, December 9, 2010

The toughest 48 hours so far...

We have been facing some challenges with little Josiah these past couple of days.  He's been having difficulty sleeping and has been crying a lot.  He's been needing constant motion to help him fall asleep but the second that motion stops or we'd put him down he'd wake up and start screaming again.  This seems to be reminiscent of some of what we experienced while Priya was going through her colicky stage.  But I'm still holding out hope and praying that this is not colic and that it will quickly pass...  I'm making some adjustments diet wise to see if that is the source of his troubles and am hoping for the best.

In the midst of Josiah's struggles, Priya has gotten sick.  And as a result, Ashish and I have been doing quite the juggling act.  Just when we *thought* the kids were asleep, one would wake up screaming.  And before we knew it both kids were screaming and having a really difficult time.  I was really thankful that Ashish was home and that he could care for Priya when I had to go back and tend to Josiah's needs.  I can't imagine how parents with more than 2 kids do it - or parents that are doing it alone!  I thought one child was tough....

Priya is beginning to show the impact of the changes in our household through some less-than-desirable behavior.  It breaks my heart to see her struggling and particularly to see that she is upset with me for spending so much time with Josiah and not as much with her.  I'm so thankful for family and friends who have spent time with her these past few weeks, but I can't seem to shake the feeling of guilt that I'm neglecting her.  I know that it's a phase and that it's good for her to learn that the world doesn't revolve around her, but it's a challenge none-the-less.

But on a more positive note, dealing with an infant this time around, I have a diffierent perspective which helps a great deal!  Priya's colicky phase came to a welcome end at 3 1/2 months and she was a completely different little girl from that time on.  I knew in my head that it would eventually pass with her but I had no idea what to expect as I'd never been through it before and the emotional and physical toll that it took was tough.  Yes, each child is different but it really does help to know that we've been around the block at least once before and that there is an end to the difficult and exhausting infant phase.  It helps me to appreciate this stage of Josiah's life a bit more, although I do admit that I'm looking forward to a few months from now when we'll see more of his emerging personality, we'll be getting more sleep, and will be stepping into fun new stages of development.

No comments:

Post a Comment