Friday, January 20, 2012

Priya's 1st Dentist Visit

You can probably tell by now that it's really important to me to document my kids' lives and to create an avenue for them to remember what life was like for them growing up (hence the blog).  I don't know that I would typically document something like going to the dentist, but this was a significant moment for Priya and one that I want her to remember.  It was a time when she conquered a significant fear in a big way!

Priya is four years old and had never been to the dentist before today.  Because of some rather traumatic medical/hospital experiences in the past she has been very resistant to seeing a dentist.  We've tried a number of things to help her overcome her fear but she has always made quite a big protest.  We've been praying for wisdom in knowing when to take her and how to prepare her and for the Lord's guidance in helping her to overcome her fear.

I recently took her with me to my dentist appointment to help her get an idea of what she could expect.  She was surprised that I didn't cry and kept asking me if it hurt.  I think it helped to ease her into the idea of finally stepping foot in a dentist's office.

I also found a really cute play set that I thought might be serve as a reward as well as a teaching tool to help her understand what going to the dentist is like.  It's a Calico Critters dentist set complete with a dentist, patient, dental chair, swiveling dentist stool, dentist tray on wheels, bib, toothbrushes, cleaning tools and more.  I also found it for half price which was another bonus.  :)


Ashish, Josiah and I all went to the appointment with Priya and we gave about half of the pieces to her when we arrived at the dentist's office.  We told her that we'd give her the rest at the end of her appointment.  It was a hit!  When she sat up in the dentist chair for her x-rays, she had the little beaver sitting upright in her dentist chair (under the protective apron to keep her safe too).

She compared the beaver dentist to her dentist and was excited by the many similarities between them.


She adjusted the toy dentist chair and had the little patient lie back when the dentist adjusted Priya's chair and asked her to lie back.

Both the hygienist and the dentist (Dr. Perez) at Access Dental were absolutely wonderful with her.  They played with her, explained everything well and allowed her to feel in control at just the right times.  I was really impressed!

One thing the beavers didn't have was cool glasses and glove balloons so this was an added treat. 

She finally agreed to her teeth being cleaned and loved the bubble gum flavor!  We were all thrilled by her willingness to cooperate!


Ashish and I were so proud of her for facing and overcoming her fear.  She didn't cry and made very little protest.  It was truly a special moment for our big girl.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Jessica!!!! Hope you had a great day yesturday.
    I like the pics of Priya at the dentist. wow going to the dentist is not what it used to be. Also loved the Disney pics. Looks like you had a great time together.
    Love to you all,
    Aunt Margaret

    ReplyDelete